Cultural activities, outings, and group programming help residents broaden their horizons, keep their spirits up, and empower them with tools they will be able to use when they leave our Transitional Living Program at Open Door Youth Shelter – West Town.
Purposes of activities:
- Engage youth positively with other youth in similar circumstances
- Empower youth by giving them the opportunity to do something they have always wanted to do
- Enable youth to step out of their “comfort zones” by experiencing something new
- Restore an experience they have enjoyed before, helping to “normalize” their shelter experience
- Learn productive use of leisure time
An example of the monthly calendar of events at TLP can be seen here: ODS West Town February 2012 Calendar of Events
Independent Living Coaches engage in and expose residents to Chicago’s wide variety of free cultural opportunities, including festivals, parades, museums, and more. Sometimes we are fortunate to receive free tickets to plays and concerts. If you would like to donate in-kind tickets, please contact us!
- Chicago Cubs games
- Roller skating
- Chicago Botanic Garden
- Navy Pier
- Miniature Golfing
- Air and Water Show
- Taste of Chicago
- Charity walks, such as the Chicago Hunger Walk and the AIDS Run/Walk Chicago
- Cultural dinners
- Steppenwolf Theatre
- The Shedd Aquarium
- Chicago Theater Tour
- Auditorium Theater
- Chicago Blackhawks games
- And more!